Thursday, August 16, 2007

Jott

I did an in-service presentation called "Geek Report" at each of our colleges this week and had a great time exploring geeky stuff with our faculty. I always appreciate their dedication to students and interest in learning new things.

I ran out of time at the Saddleback presentation and didn't get to mention one of the cool new services that I have been using a lot. You should check out Jott.com - it's an amazing service you can set up to transcribe voice messages into text and then have it sent out to email or a cell phone text message. I have reached that age where I forget things a lot and often remember them when I am driving home or somewhere where it's not convenient to write myself a note. I set up my email address on Jott and have their phone number on speed dial on my cell. I can make a quick call, say something like, "Don't forget to reschedule the design meeting on Thursday", and when I come into work the next day that message is in an email to me.

It's a great service, and for now it's free!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's been too long since your last update. I thought you wanted us to read this...

Signed,
One of your three readers

Jim Gaston said...

Three???? When did I get a 50% increase in readership?

I apologize to all three of you. I have just been insanely busy. I actually have a few things I want to write about - just need a few minutes to sit down long enough to compose my thoughts.

Stay tuned - and thanks for visiting!

Julia Bleakney said...

Jim--at another session during in-service someone mentioned there is an educational section of youtube.com. Do you know if this is correct? I have looked through the categories and I don't see it. Thanks, Julia

Jim Gaston said...

Julia:

I couldn't find an educational area in YouTube, but there is a video sharing site for teachers called TeacherTube - http://www.teachertube.com. I took a quick look at it and it appears to be geared more for K-12, but you might be able to find some useful material there.