Saturday, February 11, 2006

20 Technology Skills Every Educator Should Have

At one of my "iPod Generation" sessions this week, I was asked what the next step should be for an instructor interested in becoming more "tech savvy". It was a great question and I felt bad that I didn't have a great answer. We decided that we were going to get a group of people together and do some brainstorming about where the biggest needs were, and how we could help the college move forward.

I ran across an interesting article in The Journal by Laura Turner called 20 Technology Skills Every Educator Should Have. I'm not sure I completely agree with the list (I think some of the skills are a little advanced for the typical instructor), but she provides a wealth of resources for each of the 20 skills. If you see an area in which you would like to improve, you can find numerous links to online tutorials. It looks like a great resource.

Another resource for instructors is right in their classrooms. An article in eSchool News talks about "Power Users" and how they are shaping the way instructors teach. It points out that they enjoy helping their instructors with technology issues.

No comments: