Thursday, March 29, 2012

New Charter University

I was sent an interesting article in the Chronicle of Higher Education today about a company called UniversityNow.  They are taking a different approach to education and it will be interesting to see how it develops.  Their first venture is New Charter University which has some very interesting aspects to it.  In just a few minutes I applied and had my account all ready to go.  It was no more complicated than setting up a Facebook account, and in fact I could have used my Facebook account instead of setting up a new profile.  I can take any class for free and only have to pay for it if I want the credit. All courses are self-paced and they require an initial assessment to determine if I'm ready for that class.

Obviously the lack of regional accreditation will be an issue right now for some potential students, but how long will it be before this kind of student-focused approach is the norm?

4 comments:

website said...

Wow! What a great system. Definitely works for all of us easily.

Baby Baskets said...

This is a great idea. Surely one could try the course for free and see if they could do it and then apply for the paid course. Sort of try before you buy. Great idea.

bennysmith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.